Keep Your Engine Running Smoothly with Valvoline Express Care
Your car engine is a complex piece of machinery that requires proper maintenance to function at its best. One critical component of your car’s maintenance routine that is often overlooked is the engine air filter. This air filter plays a crucial role in protecting your engine from harmful debris and pollutants, and regular air filter service is essential for keeping your engine running smoothly.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the importance of engine air filters, including what they do, why they’re essential, and how Valvoline Express Care can help keep your engine in top shape.
What is an Engine Air Filter?
The air filter in your car’s engine is responsible for filtering out dust, dirt, and other contaminants and pollutants from the air that enters the car engine. It ensures that only clean air reaches your engine’s combustion chamber, where fuel is burned to produce power. Without a functioning air filter, harmful debris can enter your engine and cause damage, leading to costly repairs or even engine failure.
Why are Engine Air Filters Important?
Engine air filters are essential for several reasons, including:
- Protecting Your Engine: A properly functioning air filter protects your engine from harmful debris, ensuring that only clean air enters the combustion chamber. This helps prevent damage to critical engine components and prolongs the life of your engine.
- Maintaining Engine Performance: A clogged air filter can restrict airflow to your engine, reducing its performance and fuel efficiency. Regular air filter service ensures that your engine is receiving the air it needs to operate at its best.
- Improving Air Quality: A clean air filter helps reduce the amount of contaminants emitted by your car, improving air quality for you and those around you.
When Should You Replace Your Engine Air Filter?
This air filter in your car is a part that you might not think is particularly significant, but it actually has a big impact on how well it operates. If you’re unsure of why your automobile isn’t operating as it should, look out for these warning indications that an air filter replacement is necessary.
Warning Signs You Need a New Engine Air Filter
- It’s dirty. This is likely the most obvious sign that changing your car’s air filter is time. Off-white in hue, a clean air filter will not have any dirt or debris lodged in its folds.On the other hand, a filthy air filter will be gray or brown in color, and dirt will probably be visibly stuck between the layers of fabric. This dirt impedes the oxygen supply to the engine.
- Your car’s power is decreased. For your engine to create the horsepower it needs to operate at its peak, a perfect ratio of gasoline and oxygen is required. The air filter may be to blame if you notice that your automobile takes longer than usual to accelerate from a stop or that it feels like it takes longer to gain speed than it used to.Bring your car in so the filter may be checked and, if necessary, replaced. As an added bonus, the technician will identify any more issues.
- You are Spending More at the Pump. Your engine uses more gasoline to produce power when your air filter is clogged, making up for the shortage of air. As a result, you’ll find yourself filling up your automobile with fuel more frequently than usual.Check the air filter first if you notice that your fuel cost is more than it should be despite little change in gas prices. It might only need to be replaced to make it right.
- When you start your car, you may smell gas. The next time you start your car, some of the extra petrol your car needs to generate its typical amount of power won’t be burned up. You’ll smell gasoline coming from your car’s tailpipe when this happens.When you start your automobile or while you’re driving, you shouldn’t smell gas. If you do, you should bring your car inside to investigate. This issue can be instantly resolved by changing the air filter.
- Black smoke or flames are coming from the tailpipe. When you start your car, the excess fuel that escapes the tailpipe can temporarily burn or cause black smoke to flow out of the tailpipe, in addition to the odor of gasoline.This is abnormal and never ought to occur in a vehicle that is in good working order. If the air filter is to blame, a factory-trained technician can locate the issue and replace it.
- The Check Engine Light Turns On. The check engine light could indicate any number of issues with your vehicle, but a major one is a shortage of oxygen.Until the light is diagnosed, you won’t know what the problem is, so taking it to a service shop can determine whether your air filter needs to be changed.
The frequency at which you should change or replace your engine air filter depends on several factors, including your driving conditions and the make and model of your car. As a general rule, it is a good idea to replace your air filter every 12,000 to 15,000 miles or once a year.
However, if you drive in dirty, muddy, or dusty conditions, you may need to replace it more frequently. It’s also essential to replace your air filter if you notice reduced engine performance, reduced fuel efficiency, or unusual engine sounds.
How Can Valvoline Express Care Help with Air Filter Service?
At Valvoline Express Care, we understand the importance of regular air filter service for your car’s engine. Our trained technicians can inspect your air filter, identify any issues, and replace it with a high-quality filter that meets or exceeds your car manufacturer’s specifications. We also offer air filter cleaning services for reusable filters.
With Valvoline Express Care, you can trust that your car’s air filter is in good hands and that your engine is protected.
The Benefits of Regular Air Filter Service
Regular air filter service can provide several benefits for your car and your wallet, including:
- Improved Engine Performance: A clean air filter ensures that your engine is receiving the air it needs to operate at its best, resulting in improved engine performance and fuel efficiency.
- Extended Engine Life: By protecting your engine from harmful debris, regular air filter service can help prolong the life of your car engine and prevent costly repairs down the line.
- Cost Savings: Regular air filter service can save you money on gas by improving fuel efficiency, and it can prevent costly engine repairs by catching any potential issues early on.
In conclusion, engine air filters are essential to your car’s engine, protecting it from harmful debris and pollutants. Regular air filter service is critical for maintaining engine performance, improving air quality, and prolonging the life of your engine. With Valvoline Express Care, you can trust that your car air filter is.
Visit one of our convinient locations across Atlanta now in Tucker, Sandy Springs, West Cobb/Marietta, Marietta, Duluth, North Cobb/Kennesaw, Dallas Hiram, Kennesaw, Woodstock, or Acworth (coming soon).